This year I taught a summer course for the first time, I sent my son off to college for his first year, I launched a math and science tutoring business, I contributed to (co-authored) a good will book, I held 3 jobs concurrently throughout the year, I helped develop an idea for an educational application, and I started this blog site. Each accomplishment brought with it joys and pains: joys of doing something meaningful; pains of letting go of something or someone.
Every experience in life gives us the opportunity to reflect, learn, and grow. This year my reflections are short, but sweet.
- Students are our teachers
- Build their confidence and they will come
- Starting, running, and owning a successful business requires a lot of work
- I will be a better teacher next year
- Listen and you will learn
- College level math is difficult/challenging for a lot of students
- It is a compliment when students return and ask for recommendations
- Parents want to help, but sometimes they need to know how
- If you believe in it, others will
- Make them as excited about your idea as you are
- Love makes life easier
- In giving, we receive
- Red is my color this year
- Give your customers what they need and they will return
- A business partnership is a “marriage”
- Positive thinking yields positive results
- Determined students are resilient
- Peace is paramount
- It is easier to give up than it is to keep trying
- I am Blessed
2012 was filled with struggle, accomplishment, surprise, fulfillment, wonderment, and everything in between. It was a great year and an introduction to things to come in 2013.